Monday, April 5, 2010

36 weeks-Day 4 on bed rest

So...this pregnancy all the sudden got interesting! Up until this point, it was going pretty normal, every doctor appointment would be great, ending with my doc saying-keep it up! Then two Friday's ago (week 35, day 1) all hell broke loose! I will have to admit, I was feeling bad before this doctors appointment, month 8 was kickin my ass. I just didn't feel right, I was really really swollen and just having difficulties. Well come to find out, I had gained 8 pounds in 2.5 weeks, along with 5 cm to my belly (then measuring 40 cm=full term belly). My blood pressure was also elevated. Great.....So the worry was I was becoming pre-eclamptic (word? who knows). So doctors orders-sonogram and hospital to run some tests. Sonogram turned out great. Baby is right on track and everything was within normal limits. He was measuring 5 pounds 6 ounces at 35 weeks which is great, no huge baby in the belly for me! Apparently I am just huge. I'm blaiming it on my height ... or lack thereof.

At the hospital, they checked my blood pressure which consistently went down, and blood tests that turned out ok, so I was sent home with orders for a 24h urine collection. Not fun let me tell you and pretty gross...especially when I have store it in the fridge!!

So the next week had a stress test for the baby-he's doing great! And apparently trace protein in the urine--good! But where did that leave me? A swollen, slightly elevated blood pressure, emotional pregnant women! It was a bad week let me tell you, but I finally got some answers Thursday from my doctor who put me on bed rest. I was actually relieved. I could stop worrying about myself and if I was pushing myself too hard at work (which I was). And now I know that I most likely will not go full term. I have two doctors appointments this week, more stress tests and close monitoring. So if everything goes well, all my labs and test will turn out good and I'll make it to week 37 (starts this Friday) and have a healthy full term baby--that is my goal.

So bed rest has been great, I'm trying to enjoy it. Been reading, watching tv/movies, taking naps. I figure this is probably the only time in my life that I am ordered to sit around, rest and relax, so I better take advantage of it. I did get a little frustrated this weekend when Toby was cleaning and picking up and I couldn't help--crazy right?? I really was anxious about finishing the baby's room (which the doc specifically said I couldn't do!!), so Sam came over and I sat in the room with my feet up and ordered her around! I really appreciate her coming over and helping me finish it and putting up with my obsessiveness!!

Plans for tonight-packing bag for the hospital and trying to figure out how to use our video camera. Toby has been super patient and helpful and of course really worried about me. I am forbidden to drive (per Toby) b/c my belly is about an inch away from the steering wheel. My most used phrase "Toby, can you do me a favor?"

If anyone has some free time....come visit--I'm just laying here relaxing!!

No comments: